08 Jan 2012, written by nkctribune
I prefer to use an oven-browning method for rice making:
Chef Frank’s Oven Roasted Rice
Author: Chef Frank Schuchman
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1 cup dry rice
- 2 TBS vegetable oil
- 2¾ cups beef stock
- Any raw vegetables you like
- In 350 oven and an oven proof, deep dish, casserole dish, baking pan, etc, I add dry rice and place it uncovered into the oven.
- Every 15 minutes I’ll give the dry rice a stir
- The rice will begin to brown, after about 30 minutes (checking & stirring 3x ). Then I stir in vegetable oil and beef stock, and any raw chopped veggies you like. (be careful of the steam when you add the stock)
- My favorite veggie combo: celery, carrots, onions, garlic and bell peppers.
- Small cut fresh carrots, frozen petite green peas and fresh garlic are a nice combo too.
- Cover very tightly with foil and put back in the oven.
- Do Not open for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and make sure all of the liquid has been absorbed. Turn the oven off, then wait another 10 minutes.
- Uncover, and it’s Done!
- Fluff up with a fork and you’re ready to go.
- The longer you let the rice get brown, the more of a nice “nutty” taste you’ll get.
Optional: You can add granulated garlic and dry oregano with the beef stock.